Friday, January 22, 2010

Hello From Limbo Land

This blog has been silent for a while and I want to check in with what passes for an update.

There is none. We are all simply waiting for the Supreme Court to rule in Reed Elsevier v. Muchnick. When the justices have spoken, we'll be in a position to assess what that decision means for the future of the copyright class-action settlement and for the writers' rights issues the objectors have been raising for nearly five years.

The closely related matter of the Google Books settlement is also awaiting the next step in the judicial process: its review at the district court level. Anything that I would try to add to that discussion would be redundant at this point. Personally? I like the line of James Grimmelman that "this is no way to run a culture." But I've said that, and said it again. Right now, like all of you, I'm watching and waiting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home